February 17, 2015

English Lesson at a Restaurant

English Mufid - Learn English Online

learning English at a restaurant
English Lesson at a restaurant



ENGLISH LESSON AT A RESTAURANT

Going to a restaurant of a cafe is definitely an interesting thing. We might go there for lunch or dinner, but for breakfast is infrequent. There is a lot of nice food cooked by reliable chefs. You just sit down and then order any food and drink you love. The demerit of dining out is a bit prodigal since the food generally costs a lot. But if you a have lots of dollars, why not?

In this practical lesson at a restaurant you will learn some new vocabulary and key expressions used mostly in a restaurant. As always I have included an exercise to trigger your memory. The lesson can also be used for teachers in teaching. Let's get the ball rolling!

AT A RESTAURANT VOCABULARY


People and Things

Restaurant
Café
Roadside dining
Chief / Cook
Server
Waiter
Waitress
Customer
Bill/receipt/check
credit card / cash
Menu
Appetizer/starter
Main Meal
Dessert
delicious/yummy/tasty
hot/spicy
salty
tasteless/flavorless

Verbs Used in Restaurants

Dining out
To have breakfast/lunch/dinner/supper
To order food
To treat
To pay
To taste
To fry
To bake
To roast / to grill
to serve

English Restaurant Menu

Main Meals
Roasted chicken
Meatballs
Toast
Sandwich
Boiled eggs
Scrambled eggs
Fried eggs
Spicy shrimps
White rice
Red rice
Stir-fried vegetables
Fried rice
Spaghetti
Vegetable soup
Boiled noodles
Fried noodles
Fried fish
Steak
Crispy squids
Satay
Hamburger

Beverages / Drinks
Orange juice
Coca cola
Ice tea
Black coffee
Coffee milk
Plain water
Berry syrup
Milk
Chocolate milk
Apple juice
Green tea
Lemonade

Desserts
Cookies
Green salad
Strawberry Cheesecake
Chocolate Mud Cake
Bananas
Strawberry pudding
Cheese rolls

English Expressions at a Restaurant Said by Servers / Waiter / Waitress

- Hello! Welcome to McDonald’s.
- I will be your waiter today.
- Do you have a reservation?
- How many seats do you need?
- Can I take your order?
- What would you like to eat?
- What would you have for dinner/lunch/breakfast?
- How would you like it cooked?
- Anything else?
- Would you like some dessert?
- I will bring them to you in a moment. / I will be right back.
- Here you are!
- Would you pay by credit card or cash?
- That will be…
- This is the change.

Customers' Expressions

- May I see the menu?
- I'll have....
- May I have...?
- I'd like...
- Can I have ... please?
- Is it spicy?
- I prefer it rare/medium/well-done.
- Can I have a refill, please?
- Thank you.
- Waiter! Could I have the bill, please?
- Bill, please!
- Check, please!
- How much does it cost?
- I pay them cash, please.
- I pay that by credit card.
- I am really full.
- I have a lot of appetite right now.
- Hmm.. I think I have lost my appetite.
- Would you mind heating this up? It’s too cold for me.
- You can keep the change.
- This is a tip for you.


ENGLISH CONVERSATIONS AT A RESTAURANT


Beginning Conversation

Amanda: Are you hungry?
Richard : Yes, I am.
Amanda: So why don't we go for lunch/dinner/breakfast.
Richard : That's a great idea. Where will we eat?
Amanda: How about at...cafe/restaurant?
Richard : It would be nice, let's go then!

Conversation between Waiter and Customer

Waiter     : Hello, welcome to KFC! May I take your order?
Customer: Yes, I'll have steak, please.
Waiter     : How would you like it cooked? Rare, medium, or well-done?
Customer: I like it well-done, please.
Waiter     : Would you like anything else?
Customer: May I have a glass of water, please?
Waiter     : How about the dessert?
Customer: Can I get some cookies, please?
Waiter     : OK, so one steak, a glass of water, and cookies.  I will be right back.
Customer: Yes, please, thank you.
Waiter     : Here are your meals.
Customer: Thank you, sir/miss.
Waiter     : You are very welcome. Have a nice lunch/dinner/breakfast.
Customer: Waiter! Check, please! How much is my food?
Waiter     : That will be $20 Would you pay by credit card/cash?
Customer: I’ll pay it cash. Here you are! / Here it is!
Waiter     : Thank you so much madam and please come back anytime you like!
Customer: Yeah, sure. Good bye!
Waiter     : Bye, have a great time!



AT A RESTAURANT ENGLISH EXERCISES

(Look at the pictures to answer each question.)

Example
Server: Can I take your order?
You    : I'd have a hamburger, please.

1)









Server: Can I take your order?
You    : I'd have , please.


2)










Server:What would you have for breakfast?
You    : I'd like .


3)










Server:What would you like for dinner?
You    : I'll have some .


4)












Server:What would you like to drink?
You    : May I have a glass of ?


5)









Server:What would you have for dessert?
You    : Can I have some ?










Tag:
learning English at a restaurant, English dialogues at a restaurant, speaking English at a restaurant, English conversations at a restaurant, English expressions at a restaurant, English lesson at a restaurant, practical English at a restaurant.

0 comments

Post a Comment